Competition rules: Water is life
Fri, 10 February 2023
The rules below apply to all entries received for the 2023 ‘Water is life’ poetry competition.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The ‘Water is life’ poetry competition (“the Competition”) is organised by AVBOB Mutual Assurance Society (“AVBOB”), headquartered at 368 Madiba Street, Pretoria Central, Pretoria, 0002.
- The Competition opens for entry at 00h01 South African Standard Time (SAST) on Monday, 13 February 2023.
- The closing date of the Competition is at 23h59 South African Standard Time (SAST) on Tuesday, 28 February 2023.
- The Competition is open to any citizen of South Africa, unless explicitly excluded by these Competition rules.
- Entrants may enter poems only in English.
- By entering the Competition, entrants (and if the entrant is under 18 years of age, the entrant’s parent or guardian) acknowledge that they have read, understood and accepted these Competition rules.
- Kindly note that the Competition may only be entered by sending your entry to the designated e-mail address. Only entries electronically submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; and successfully received; will be accepted.
- Poems may not exceed 250 (two hundred and fifty) words. Entrants are only allowed to enter two poems into the Competition.
- Each poem will be assessed as originally submitted only. No subsequent editorial amendment or resubmission is permitted. No correspondence or discussion about amendments will be entered into. In the case of winning poems, the editors will correct any obvious typos, grammar or spelling mistakes if necessary.
- All current AVBOB employees and suppliers (who may also be students); whether employed/contracted with permanently or on a fixed term basis, directly or indirectly; and their respective spouses/partners, children (whether legitimate or not) and extended family members are prohibited from entering the Competition. Former competition judges and their immediate family members as well as organisers who are associated with the Competition are also precluded from entering the Competition.
- AVBOB does not accept any responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence, whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise. Entrants acknowledge that the internet is not a secure medium and that the judging panel is not responsible for the security of e-mailed entries.
- AVBOB reserves the right to cancel, vary, suspend or modify the Competition rules at any time and in its sole discretion. Furthermore, AVBOB reserves the right to cancel the Competition if, in its opinion, the Competition is not capable of running as planned due to circumstances beyond AVBOB’s control. Such circumstances include without limitation system/server errors, computer virus infections, tampering, unauthorised intervention, pandemic or other technical/digital failures which may negatively affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Competition. Any notice of cancellation of the Competition or changes to the rules will be posted on this website.
- AVBOB and its employees will not be liable for any damages claim, due to loss (monetary or otherwise) sustained or incurred, whether direct or indirect, as a result of, arising out of, or in any way connected with the Competition; excluding a liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case such a liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law). Each entrant indemnifies, holds harmless and releases AVBOB and its employees from all claims for damages as a result of any loss suffered due to entering this Competition, or for any loss suffered as a result of any breach of these terms and conditions by an entrant, including breach of any third-party intellectual property rights or any warranty or representation being false or incorrect. This clause survives the conclusion of the Competition.
- If any part of these Competition rules is void or unenforceable, then that part will be severed and the remainder construed as if the severed part had never existed.
- This Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
- The panel judging the Competition (the “Judging Panel”) reserves the right to refuse any entry at its sole discretion. The Judging Panel also reserves the right to disqualify any entrant or entry at its absolute sole discretion. For example, the judging panel may disqualify:
- Any surplus or additional entries;
- Incomplete, indecipherable or illegal entries, or entries containing incorrect contact details;
- Any entries that in AVBOB’s opinion contains material that is objectionable, defamatory, profane or potentially insulting, inflammatory or defamatory, or contravenes an applicable law or infringes any third party's rights;
- Entrants who in AVBOB’s opinion have tampered with the entry process or engaged in unlawful or improper conduct that is designed to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the Competition, or is generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of AVBOB; or
- Entries that AVBOB considers inappropriate for any other reason.
- AVBOB reserves the right to, at any time, verify the validity of entries and the mandatory details provided by entrants (including an entrant's identity, age and parental/legal guardian permission (where applicable)), and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions. The necessary selection for verification is at the sole discretion of AVBOB.
- Failure by AVBOB to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
- The entrant must ensure that the poem entered:
- Is an original work of the entrant as defined in the South African Copyright Act 98 of 1978; and
- Is not published, under offer to any publication, or offered for publication (unpublished) until the adjudication is finalised and the winner is notified and announced.
- By entering the Competition, the entrant warrants that he or she is the sole owner of the poem and the sole copyright owner of the content of the poem (material) and that he or she is compliant with and agrees to comply with these terms and conditions. This clause shall survive the conclusion of the Competition.
- AVBOB cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition.
- In the event of any dispute regarding these rules or any other matter relating to the Competition arising, the decision of AVBOB shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Entries not complying with the Competition rules will be disqualified, as will entrants in breach of the rules.
- Entrants must not approach or attempt to influence any judge or member of AVBOB’s staff over Competition matters.
- The Competition rules will be governed by South African law, and any dispute will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of South Africa.
- The following cash prizes will be awarded to the respective poets of the top three winning poems, as determined by the Competition judges: R1 000.00 (one thousand rand) for first place, R700.00 (seven hundred rand) for second place and R300.00 (three hundred rand) for third place.
- Cash prizes will only be transferred to winning poets via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) without exception.
- Winning poets (and if the entrant is under 18 years of age, the entrant’s parent or guardian) have until 21 April 2023 to supply AVBOB with a scanned copy of their Identity Document and South African banking details, via a direct reply to the official e-mail notifying them of their prize. Failure to submit valid details on or before the deadline will result in any cash prize/s due being forfeited.
- AVBOB reserves the right, in conjunction with the Competition Judging Panel, not to select any winning poems if, in their opinion, such action is justified for any reason.
- Poets of the Competition’s winning poems will be notified of their respective prizes via an official e-mail from email@example.com by no later than 22 March 2023.
- Should an entered poem be determined as either a winning poem or a ‘runner-up’ by AVBOB, the entrant grants AVBOB an unlimited licence regarding usage rights of same and thus full consent to publish the poem on other platforms and in other media forms whether now known or in future developed.
- Entrants of ‘runner-up’ poems, which have also been selected for publication by the Judging Panel, will be notified of this selection through an official e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 22 March 2023.
- The Judging Panel’s selection of poems will be published on www.avbobpoetry.co.za and the AVBOB Poetry social media pages, as well as released to the press, on 22 March 2023.
- Usage rights mean that the authors of all poems entered into the Competition (and if the author is under 18 years of age, the entrant’s parent or guardian), grant AVBOB an irrevocable, non-exclusive licence to republish their work in perpetuity, including but not limited to:
- Publishing the work online;
- Publishing the work as part of an information resource;
- Production of reprints; and
- Using the work for publicity purposes, in print, as well as on radio or television.
- All the rights mentioned above cover distribution or publication anywhere in the world, but not for selling poetry.
- Copyright of the poems remains with the poets and they will retain the right to use or publish all worked entered for the Competition after 30 April 2023, excluding for re-entry into the main annual AVBOB Poetry Competition at www.avbobpoetry.co.za (which is not permitted).
- The decisions of the Judging Panel relating to this Competition are final and binding, and no subsequent correspondence will be entered into.
- The Judging Panel is not obliged to provide feedback or critical comment on individual entries.
- Entrants not selected for publication are free to submit poems entered into the Competition for consideration elsewhere (i.e. to other competitions or for publication) after 30 April 2023.
- An entrant’s personal information as defined by the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act 4 of 2013 may be collected, used and disclosed by AVBOB for Competition purposes and other incidental and other functions incidental hereto, including disclosure of the winner's personal information in publications made available to the public throughout the world, by use of online, print and other media services and communication tools. A request to access, update or correct any personal information held by AVBOB should be directed to email@example.com.
- By entering the Competition, an entrant (and if an entrant is under 18 years of age, the entrant’s parent or legal guardian) consents to AVBOB using and disclosing any part of the entrant’s personal information provided as set out above, including, without limitation, the following:
- Use in any communications, publications, marketing or promotional activities associated with the Competition; and
- In the event of winning, use and disclosure of an entrant’s name and photograph(s) for publicity, marketing, promotional and publication purposes, including throughout the world, whether by online, print or other media services and communication tools.
- An entrant may withdraw his or her consent to future use and disclosure of personal information in promotional and marketing activities and publications at any time by written notice to firstname.lastname@example.org and, upon receipt of such notice, AVBOB will take reasonable steps to cease using and disclosing that personal information as soon as is reasonably possible. In some instances, AVBOB will not be able to cease the use or disclosure, for example, where information has been cached by others.